I made them for the first time last year and was surprised at how easy they were to make. This year we have TONS of cucumbers from our CSA so I have been stocking up.
- 4 ½ cups water
- ½ cup salt
- A large bunch of dill
- 2 cups of vinegar
- Approximately 5 cups of cucumbers cut in to bite size pieces
- Glass Jars
Yields approx. 3-4 quarts
- Bring 4 ½ cups of water and ½ of salt to a boil. Allow to simmer until salt dissolves completely. When dissolved, remove from heat and cool
- When cool, mix 3 cups of salt water brine with 1 cup of vinegar.
- Fill jars with cut up cucumbers making sure to leave room for the brine
- Place several sprigs of dill into jars and fill with brine
- Use an air tight cover and refrigerate for two weeks before eating.
You can use regular canning jars to make the pickles, but they are not a requirement. You can also recycle existing glass jars; just make sure they are very clean and dry.